14 January 2006

New York is such a small world

In the last 24 hours I have participated in four of those unexpected "it's a small world" encounters. First, a client from Florida arrived with a tour group, and as she got off the coach at her hotel, a former student of hers walked by. Secondly, as I was meeting another group from Georgia at their hotel, a friend of mine walked by, who happens to be a friend of the leader of the Georgia group. I did not know that they knew each other. Later, a colleague whom I was with, had a chance encounter with someone with whom he had gone to elementary school in Kansas. And at the end of the day, as I stood outside the Eugene O'Neill Theatre before seeing Sweeney Todd, another client of mine from Florida crossed the street and said hello. She had told me by email this week that she would be in New York for the weekend and she jokingly said she hoped to run into me on the street. She too was seeing Sweeney Todd.

Avid and regular readers will be curious about my view of the show. I'm too much of a Sondheim fan to say anything other than this: if God had wanted actors to play instruments, he would never have given us orchestra pits.

No comments: