11 July 2005

Paper Chase

My office. After hours.

I'm here surveying the debris of my office, which I tore apart late this afternoon, while frantically searching for a contract that I seemed to have mislaid. It's just the same as hundreds others that I deal with and I hadn't given the pesky little thing a thought until a fax arrived today that suddenly caused the thought of the offending document to rise swiftly to the top of my to do list. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find the little bugger, though I was convinced that I had it somewhere. And all the other paperwork pointed to it's existence. I can usually lay my hands on any piece of paper in my office very swiftly. I have this instinctive feel for knowing where something was the last time I saw it, especially when it's made it's way to the I'll get to it one of these odd years pile. Well, now I have a huge pile of I'll get to it one of these odd years and as I'm taking the day off tomorrow I feel compelled to eliminate the pile.

The happy ending to the sorry tale is that I eventually called the vendor with whom I had the 'contract'. I fished a little for information and was filled with gladness when she said, "I'm so sorry, I've been meaning to get that to you for weeks. Can I bring it over on Wednesday?"

When the dawn of the paperless office was proclaimed, just who were they kidding?

No comments: